Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fathers Day

As I awoke this morning I made my way to the kitchen table. It’s “Fathers day” I thought. There were banners on the walls and notes from my children all expressing their love for me as their dad.
My youngest daughter of eleven (Grace) wrote: “Dad, without you our family wouldn’t know what to do(because we love you so much) You are the perfect Dad anyone could ever have! When ever I need something fixed, you’re the one I’d ask because you know how to fix anything! Whenever I need a hug I know where to go! Your hugs are like a warm teddy bear. But most of all I love you daddy! Happy Fathers Day.
P.S. “Boom –Daddy-Boom Daddy -Boom!!

Then there was a list of “things to do” that my wife had left there on the table from the night before. One of the items on her list was to call her Dad. As I looked at the note, I thought oh yea, “call Dad” and then …. I thought “ooooh I can’t do that any more” . It’s another one of those things I use to do that I‘ve added to the list of my memories of my Father who went to be with the Lord on May 31st this year.

I’m finding that thoughts of my Father tug on my heart and cause a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye at the most unexpected moments. Jesus understood this when he said “I will never leave you nor forsake you, even unto the ends of the world”.

Our minds have a unique way of reviewing our past and the things that have left life time impressions on us. With this hope of Jesus our tears are wiped away and our hearts are comforted when we are reassured that, we who have accepted Christ as our savior will be re-united with the saints who have gone on before.

If you have never experienced this comfort in your loss of a loved one I challenge you to take a moment and ask God to bring peace and comfort into your life through Jesus.

I loved my Dad and someday I too will be with him again even though I miss him now and have wonderful and fond memories of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment